It's a proven fact that dogs can improve the health of their owners, from lessening anxiety and allergies, to boosting immunity and even increasing your chance of finding love! If you're looking for a furry friend to spend your time with, look no further than your local animal shelter.
Whether they're a purebred or mix-breed, shelter dogs have wonderful personalities that never cease to amuse and amaze. If you've rescued a shelter dog, you know that the dog brings a certain quirkiness unlike any other type of dog. With October being Adopt a Shelter Dog Month, there's no better time to add to your family. Here is an unofficial list of why rescue dogs can make the best dogs:
- They possess "street cred." They've often lived in less-than-ideal situations and have experience and wisdom you won't find in other dogs.
- Never-ending thanks. Because of their experiences, your rescue dog understands and appreciates your living situation. Whether it is a studio apartment or a luxurious mansion, living with you is like staying at the Four Seasons every day of their life.
- They are always a conversation starter. If you have a mixed breed, nearly everyone you meet will have a theory about what kind of breed your dog really is. French Mastiff, Bloodhound, Lab Mix? Possible, although even YOUR theory is likely to change over the course of Fido's life.
- Their siblings are everywhere. Every dog that resembles your dog could possibly be related, therefore constantly changing your theory listed in #3.
- Their age is a mystery. While the shelter may have guessed your dog's age, dogs hide gray hairs, and other signs of aging very well. However, some dogs are born gray, meaning you may get a few extra years you weren't expecting!
- They're okay with you picking a different birth date (heck - even a new name!) for them. Chances are they haven’t had much to celebrate in the past, so as long as you pick a date and remember it (and don't forget an extra treat or two), it's totally okay with them.
- They always make you feel good about yourself. Rescuing a dog means you've given an animal a new chance at life, and in return you will find they award your good deed with unconditional love and happiness.
What better way to celebrate Adopt a Shelter Dog Month then by... adopting a shelter dog! Grosse Pointe Animal Adoption Society(GPAAS) hosts adoption events every other Saturday at Camp Bow Wow in St. Clair Shores. For the adoption schedule click here. Other adoption rescue organizations in the Metro-Detroit area include Detroit Dog Rescue, Home Furever Rescue and Almost Home Animals.